|Required Tools and Supplies|
|Shop Rags||Driven Clutch Spreader|
|Torque Wrench||Safety Glasses|
|Nitrile Gloves||Drive Belt|
For more information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves while servicing your Polaris RANGER. To inspect or replace the drive belt on your RANGER 1000 or RANGER CREW 1000, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in park.
3. Tilt the cargo box.
4. Using an 8mm socket, remove the eight fasteners securing the clutch cover.
5. Lift the cover over the A-arm assembly, rotate it toward the engine, and then rotate the cover counter-clockwise and remove from the vehicle.
6. Inspect the cover seal and replace if necessary. The seal is part number 5526449.
7. Take note of the drive belt direction of rotation so that it can be installed in the same direction.
8. Insert the clutch spreader tool from the vehicle tool kit into the threaded hole on the driven clutch. Turn the spreader clockwise to spread the clutch.
9. Carefully walk the belt off of the driven clutch and remove from the drive clutch.
10. Inspect the belt for any fraying, hour-glassing, loose cords, missing cogs, abrasions, burns or damage, and replace if needed. The belt is part number 3211218.
11. Clean out the inside of the clutch covers thoroughly. Warning: Failure to remove ALL debris when replacing the belt could result in vehicle damage, loss of control and severe injury or death.
12. When reinstalling the belt, ensure the belt is installed in the same direction of travel. If replacing the belt, ensure the part number on the belt is facing outward when installed.
13. Loop the belt over the drive clutch and begin to walk it over the driven clutch sheave until it is fully installed.
14. Turn the clutch spreader tool counter-clockwise to remove from the driven clutch.
15. Spin the driven clutch five to seven times to seat the sheaves on the belt.
16. Install the clutch cover by installing the top half first, and then the bottom half over the suspension.
17. Install the eight cover fasteners. Torque to 44 in-lbs (5 Nm).
18. Lower the cargo bed.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Inc.