|Required Tools and Supplies
|Clutch Spreader Tool
For more information on tools, read Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris RANGER. To inspect or replace the drive belt on your RANGER XP 1000 NorthStar Edition or RANGER CREW XP 1000 NorthStar Edition, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
3. Raise the cargo box.
4. Using an 8mm socket, remove the nine cover fasteners.
5. Pull the clutch cover forward and slide toward the front of the vehicle. Rotate the clutch cover back and lift up and over the control arm mounting. Pull the clutch cover out toward the rear of the vehicle. Caution: Use care when lifting the clutch cover upward. Do not damage the cover, intake boot or electrical harness.
6. Inspect the cover seal and replace if necessary. The seal is part number 5416207.
7. Take note of the drive belt direction of rotation. The belt must be installed in the same direction if reusing.
8. Insert the clutch spreader tool from the vehicle tool kit into the threaded hole on the driven clutch and turn it clockwise to spread the clutch.
9. Carefully walk the belt off the driven clutch and remove it from the drive clutch.
10. Inspect the belt for any fraying, hour-glassing, loose cords, missing cogs, abrasions, burns or damage. Replace if needed.
11. Clean out the inside of the clutch covers thoroughly. Warning: Failure to remove ALL debris when replacing the belt could result in vehicle damage, loss of control and severe injury or death.
12. If replacing the belt, the part number on the belt should face outward when installed. The drive belt is part number 3211186.
13. Loop the belt over the drive clutch and begin to walk it over the driven clutch sheave.
14. Spin the driven clutch five to seven times to seat the belt.
15. Turn the clutch spreader tool counter-clockwise to remove it from the driven clutch.
16. Reinstall the clutch cover into the wheel well and rotate over the A-arm. Use care not to damage intake boots or the electrical harness. Align the clutch cover with the bolt holes on the inner clutch cover, ensuring the cover seal is fully seated.
17. Install the nine cover fasteners. Torque to 35 in-lbs (4 Nm).
18. Lower the cargo box.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.