Before you ride your Polaris RANGER XP 1000 NorthStar Edition or RANGER CREW XP 1000 NorthStar Edition, perform the pre-ride inspection as described in your Owner’s Manual. Read, understand and follow all of the instructions, warnings and safety precautions in the Owner’s Manual and on all product labels. Failure to follow these instructions, warnings and safety precautions could result in serious injury or death.
During your pre-ride inspection, do the following:
1. Visually inspect the vehicle, looking for debris, leaks and worn components that may impair the vehicle’s operation
2. Pay particular attention to the radiator area for the accumulation of debris, which can cause the engine to overheat, and clean any debris that you find.
3. Check the condition of the tires, looking for any sign of punctures or damage, and verify proper tread depth.
4. Check the tire pressures and verify that they are to specification. On a RANGER XP 1000 NorthStar Edition, the tire pressure should be 14 psi (96 kPa) on the front tires and 16 psi (110 kPa) on the rear tires. On a RANGER CREW XP 1000 NorthStar Edition, the tire pressure should be 18 psi (124 kPa) on the front tires and 20 psi (138 kPa) on the rear tires.
5. Inspect the front and rear suspension for leaks, debris and damage.
6. Inspect the brake pads and rotors, looking for corrosion, nicks and burrs.
7. Tilt the cargo box and inspect the intake system for blockage or debris, and clean as needed. Notice: DO NOT spray water directly into the intake system, as this can result in water intrusion to the engine.
8. Inspect the PVT intake screen for blockage and debris.
9. Next, inspect the fluid levels. Ensure the vehicle is on a level surface before inspecting fluid levels.
- Remove the hood panel and inspect the coolant level in the overflow bottle. Add coolant as needed. Caution: Escaping steam can cause burns. Never remove the pressure cap while the engine is warm or hot. Always allow the engine to cool before removing the pressure cap.
- Inspect the brake reservoir underneath the left front fender for proper fluid level. Add fluid as needed. Tip: Use a flashlight to illuminate the brake fluid reservoir.
10. Next, we need to inspect the engine oil level. Notice: Ensure the oil level is checked on a cold engine. A hot engine will appear overfilled.
- Remove the oil dipstick and wipe it with a clean shop towel.
- Reinstall the oil dipstick fully and remove it to inspect the oil level. Caution: Operating with insufficient, deteriorated or contaminated engine oil will cause accelerated wear and may result in engine or transmission seizure, which could result in loss of control and serious injury or death.
- Add oil as needed. Caution: Do not overfill. Overfilling can result in loss of engine performance and an oil-saturated air filter. Use a suction device to remove excess oil if overfilled.
11. Inspect the wiper blade and replace if necessary.
12. Turn the key on and inspect the headlight, taillight and brake lights for proper operation.
13. Inspect the doors for proper latching.
14. Most importantly, check the condition and function of the seat belt.
- Pull the seat belt completely out and inspect for cuts, wear, fraying, dirt, debris or stiffness.
- Test the buckle and latch for proper operation. Caution: Always wear a seat belt when riding. The vehicle will limit speed if the seat belt buckle is not latched.
15. Sit in the vehicle and check the steering wheel for smooth operation from full left to full right.
16. Verify proper brake and throttle pedal movement, taking note of any binding or sticking.
17. Adjust the rear view mirror as necessary.
18. Start the engine and verify the low oil pressure light is not illuminated.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.