|Required Tools and Supplies|
|8mm Allen Socket||Ratchet|
|Torque Wrench||Fluid Filler|
|Drain Pan||Demand Drive Fluid|
|Shop Rags||Safety Glasses & Nitrile Gloves|
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV.
To change the front gearcase fluid on your model year 2020 and older Sportsman 450, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Place a drain pan underneath the front gearcase drain plug. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of fluid.
5. Clean the area around the fill plug in the right front wheel well.
6. Using an 8mm Allen socket, remove the front gearcase fill plug.
7. Clean the area around the drain plug.
8. Using an 8mm Allen socket, remove the drain plug and allow the fluid to drain completely.
9. Clean any dirt or debris from the fill and drain plugs.
10. Inspect the O-rings on both plugs and replace if necessary.
11. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 19 ft-lbs (26 Nm).
12. Fill the gearcase through the fill plug hole until fluid reaches the bottom threads and begins to spill out. The capacity is 9 ounces (265 ml). Demand Drive Fluid is part number 2877922 for 1 quart (946 ml).
13. Reinstall the gearcase fill plug. Torque to 19 ft-lbs (26 Nm).
14. Clean any residual fluid off the vehicle and inspect for leaks.
15. Dispose of the used fluid properly.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.