Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris RZR. To remove and install the battery on your RZR 800, RZR 4 800, RZR 800 S, RANGER RZR or RANGER RZR S, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Make sure the vehicle is in PARK.
3. Turn the key switch to the OFF position and remove the key.
4. Remove the driver's seat. To remove the seat:
- Pull up on the seat latch lever located under the rear edge of the seat.
- Tilt the seat forward.
- Lift the seat upward to remove it from the vehicle.
- Reverse this procedure to reinstall the seat. Make sure the seat tabs at the front edge of the seat slide under the seat retainer bar.
- Press down firmly at the rear of the seat to engage the rear latch.
5. On conventional batteries, remove the battery vent tube.
6. Disconnect the black negative battery cable first to prevent arcing.
7. Then disconnect the red positive battery cable.
8. Remove the hold-down strap and lift the battery out of the vehicle. Be careful not to tip a conventional battery sideways, which could spill electrolyte. Warning: If electrolyte spills, immediately wash it off with a solution of one tablespoon baking soda and one cup water to prevent damage to the vehicle.
9. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged to prevent damage. The replacement battery is part number 4011496.
Warning: Using a new battery that has not been fully charged can damage the battery and result in a shorter life. It also can hinder vehicle performance. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner's Manual before installing the battery.
10. Ensure the battery is clean and free of debris. Refer to the Battery Charging and Maintenance Tips for Polaris Off-Road Vehicles video for proper cleaning and maintenance techniques.
11. Place the battery in the battery holder, and secure it with the hold-down strap.
12. On conventional batteries, install the battery vent tube (sealed batteries do not have a vent tube). The vent tube must be free of obstructions and securely installed. Route the tube away from the frame and vehicle body to prevent contact with electrolyte. Warning: Battery gases could accumulate in an improperly installed vent tube and cause an explosion, resulting in serious injury or death. Always ensure that the vent tube is free of obstructions and is securely installed as recommended.
13. Connect and tighten the red positive cable first.
14. Connect and tighten the black negative cable last.
15. Verify that the cables are properly routed.
16. Coat the terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
17. Turn the key ON to verify the battery has been connected properly. When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset. More information can be found in Setting the Clock on Your RZR.
18. Reinstall the driver’s seat by reversing the seat removal process.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.