|Required Tools and Supplies|
|6mm Allen||Oil Change Kit|
|2.5-Inch (63mm) Oil Filter Wrench||Ratchet|
|Torque Wrench||Oil Pan|
|Safety Glasses||Nitrile Gloves|
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
When changing the oil on your Polaris RZR, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. Always check and change the oil at the intervals outlined in the Periodic Maintenance Chart in your Owner's Manual. The PS-4 Oil Change Kit is part number 2879323. The Extreme Duty Oil Change Kit is part number 2890057.
To change the oil and filter on your RZR S 1000 or S4 1000, do the following:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in PARK.
3. Start the engine, and allow it to warm up at idle for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stop the engine.
5. Remove the rear cargo box panel.
6. Remove any debris near the oil cap, and remove the oil cap.
7. Place a drain pan under the engine crankcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of oil.
8. Remove the drain plug with a 6mm Allen socket, and allow the oil to drain completely. Caution: Hot oil can cause burns to skin. Do not allow hot oil to contact skin.
9. Remove the seats by pulling the lever at the back of the seat and pivoting forward.
10. With the seats out of the way, remove the oil filter access panel by pulling out and lifting straight up.
11. Remove the oil filter with a 2.5-inch (64mm) oil filter wrench.
12. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the crankcase. Make sure the old filter O-ring is completely removed.
13. Lubricate the O-ring on the new filter with a film of fresh engine oil. Ensure the O-ring is in good condition.
14. Install the new filter. Rotate it clockwise by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface, and then turn it an additional three-quarters of a turn. The oil filter for your RZR S 1000 or S4 1000 is part number 2540086. It is included in both oil change kits.
15. Inspect the drain plug and sealing surfaces. Install a new sealing washer on the drain plug. Notice: The sealing surfaces on the drain plug and crankcase should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches. The sealing washer is part number 5812232.
16. Clean the sealing surfaces, and reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
17. Wipe up any residual oil on the vehicle.
18. Fill the engine with 2.5 quarts (2.4 liters) of oil through the oil fill cap.
19. Reinstall the oil fill cap.
20. Reinstall the cargo box panel.
21. Start the engine, and allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
22. Stop the engine, and inspect for leaks.
23. Check the oil level, and add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
24. Wipe up any residual oil that may have collected on vehicle components.
25. Reinstall the oil filter access panel.
26. Reinstall the seats.
27. Dispose of the used filter and oil properly.
Programmable Service Interval
When the hours of engine operation equal the programmed service interval setting, the wrench icon (6) on the gauge will flash for 5 seconds each time the engine is started. When this feature is enabled, it provides a convenient reminder to perform routine maintenance.
The service interval is programmed at 50 hours at the factory. The service hours remaining will display in the information display area (3) of the rider information center. Change the engine oil and filter at the recommended service intervals.
To change the service interval, do the following:
1. Press the MODE button (3) until remaining service hours display.
2. Press and hold the MODE button.
3. When the service hours flash, press and release the MODE button to advance the hours to the desired setting (including OFF). Press and hold the MODE button to set the new service hour interval.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, all trademarks are property of Polaris Industries, Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.