|Tools and Supplies Required|
|Shop Rags||Oil Change Kit|
|2.5-Inch (64mm) Oil Filter Wrench||6mm Allen Socket|
|Safety Glasses||Nitrile Gloves|
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
When changing the oil on your Polaris RANGER 500, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. Always check and change the oil at the intervals outlined in the Periodic Maintenance Chart in your Owner's Manual. The crankcase drain plug is located on the bottom of the crankcase. Access the drain plug from the bottom of the vehicle.
To change the oil and filter, do the following:
1. Position the vehicle on a level surface in a well-ventilated area.
2. Place the transmission in PARK.
3. Start the engine. Allow it to warm up at idle for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stop the engine.
5. Lift the cargo box.
6. Clean the area around the oil cap.
7. Remove the oil cap.
8. Clean the area around the drain plug.
9. Place a drain pan beneath the engine crankcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent splashing of oil.
10. Remove the drain plug using a 6mm Allen socket. Caution: Hot oil can cause burns to skin. Do not allow hot oil to contact skin.
11. Allow the oil to drain completely.
12. Using the 2.5-inch (64mm) oil filter wrench, turn the filter counter-clockwise to remove it.
13. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the crankcase. Ensure sure the old filter O-ring is completely removed.
14. Lubricate the O-ring on the new filter with a film of fresh engine oil. Check to make sure the O-ring is in good condition.
15. Install the new filter and rotate it clockwise by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface, and then turn it an additional ¾ of a turn. The oil filter for a RANGER 500 is part number 2540086.
16. Install a new sealing washer on the drain plug. The sealing surfaces on drain plug and crankcase should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches. The sealing washer is part number 5812232.
17. Reinstall the drain plug with the 6mm Allen socket and torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
18. Add 2 quarts (1.9 liters) of the recommended oil. The recommended oil is Polaris PS-4 Full Synthetic, which is part number 2876245 for 1 gallon and part number 2876244 for 1 quart. Polaris Oil Change Kits come with the correct amount of oil for your vehicle. The oil change kit for a RANGER 500 is part number 2202166. Note: Do not overfill.
19. Reinstall the engine oil dipstick and the oil fill cap.
20. Start the engine. Allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes
21. Stop the engine.
22. Inspect for leaks.
23. Clean the area around the engine oil dipstick.
24. Remove the dipstick and check the oil level. Add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
25. Wipe up any residual oil that may have collected on vehicle components.
26. Dispose of the used filter and oil properly.
Programmable Service Interval
When the hours of engine operation equal the programmed service interval setting, the wrench icon (6) on the gauge will flash for 5 seconds each time the engine is started. When this feature is enabled, it provides a convenient reminder to perform routine maintenance.
The service interval is programmed at 50 hours at the factory. The service hours remaining will display in the information display area (3) of the rider information center. Change the engine oil and filter at the recommended service intervals.
To change the service interval, do the following:
1. Press the MODE button (3) until remaining service hours display.
2. Press and hold the MODE button.
3. When the service hours flash, press and release the MODE button to advance the hours to the desired setting (including OFF). Press and hold the MODE button to set the new service hour interval.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
More maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google Inc.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.