Before you ride your Polaris Matryx 850 Switchback Assault 146 snowmobile, perform the pre-ride inspection described in the Owner's Manual.
Warning: Read, understand and follow all of the instructions, warnings and safety precautions in the Owner's Manual and on all product labels. Failure to follow these instructions, warnings and safety precautions could result in serious injury or death.
When performing your pre-ride inspection, do the following:
1. Visually inspect the sled, looking for debris, leaks and worn components that may impair its operation.
2. Remove each front side panel by turning the three quarter-turn latches. Pivot the panels away from the sled and pull out to remove.
3. Beginning on the left side, inspect the condition of the drive belt, looking for any looseness, fraying, missing cogs, burns, abrasions or damage.
4. Inspect the injection oil level in the oil tank and add oil as needed. VES Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Engine Oil is part number 2877882 for 1 quart (946 ml), part number 2877883 for 1 gallon (3.78 L) and part number 2877884 for 2.5 gallons (9.45 L).
5. On the right side of the sled, inspect the brake pads and rotor for any corrosion, nicks or burrs.
6. Inspect the coolant level in the overflow bottle and add coolant as needed. Never remove the pressure cap while the engine is warm or hot. Polaris 50/50 Pre-Mixed Antifreeze is part number 2880514 for 1 quart (946 ml) and part number 2880513 for 1 gallon (3.78 L).
7. Clean the area around the chaincase fill plug and remove with a 6mm Allen socket.
8. Ensure the fluid is level with the bottom of the threads and add fluid as needed. SCL Full Synthetic Chaincase Lubricant is part number 2873105 for 1 quart (946 ml) and part number 2873106 for 1 gallon (3.78 L).
9. Reinstall the chaincase fill plug. Torque to 4 ft-lbs (6 Nm).
10. Reinstall both side panels by inserting the upper tab and pivoting in to engage the lower tab.
10. Latch the three quarter-turn latches to secure each panel.
11. On the front suspension, inspect for fastener tightness on the shock assembly, control arms, sway bar, tie rods and spindle.
12. Inspect for any leaks and damage on all suspension components.
13. Inspect the skis for any damage or wear. Replace if needed.
14. Lift up the skis and inspect the skags for wear. Always replace any worn skags before riding. The full procedure can be found in 850 Switchback Assault 146 Skag Replacement.
15. Safely elevate the snowmobile per the Owner’s Manual guidelines to inspect the rear suspension.
16. Inspect the front torque arm limiter strap, looking for any wear or damage, and replace if needed.
17. Inspect the rail slides for wear. Replace if worn to the wear limit indicator groove.
18. Measure the track tension per the Owner's Manual guidelines and adjust as necessary. The full procedure can be found in 850 Switchback Assault 146 Track Inspection and Tension Adjustment.
19. Inspect the track for proper alignment by looking through the track windows in the rear. Ensure they are evenly spaced apart and adjust as necessary.
20. Inspect the rear idler wheel bolt and adjust bolt locknuts for tightness.
21. Once finished with the rear suspension inspection, safely lower the sled to the ground.
22. Ensure smooth operation of the steering system by turning the skis from full left to full right.
23. Slowly pull the recoil rope out and inspect the handle and rope for any excessive wear.
24. Check for proper fluid levels in the brake fluid reservoir. A flashlight can be used to illuminate the reservoir in dark areas. DOT 4 Brake Fluid is part number 2872189 for 12 ounces (355 ml) and is available through a Polaris Dealer.
25. Operate the brake and throttle levers, taking note of any binding or sticking.
26. Ensure proper operation of the parking brake.
27. Start the engine and ensure there are no warning lights present. '
28. Inspect the headlights, taillight and brake light for proper operation.
29. Push the engine stop switch to stop the engine. Make sure it does not restart.
30. Restart the engine and ensure the engine turns off when the ignition switch is turned off.
31. Finish the inspection by checking if there is enough fuel for your trip.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google Inc.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.