Required Tools and Supplies
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
- Drain Pan
- Fluid Filler
- AGL Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid
- 8mm Allen Socket
- Torque Wrench
For more information on tools, read Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves while servicing your Polaris Sportsman.
To change the transmission fluid on your 2020+ Sportsman XP 1000 S, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in PARK.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Place a drain pan underneath the transmission.
5. Clean the area around the fill plug.
6. Remove the transmission fill plug with an 8mm Allen socket. Set aside.
7. Clean the area around the drain plug. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of fluid.
8. Remove the drain plug with an 8mm Allen socket and allow the fluid to drain completely.
9. Clean any dirt or debris from the fill and drain plugs.
10. Inspect the O-rings on both plugs and replace if necessary.
11. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 14 ft-lbs (19 Nm).
12. Fill the transmission through the fill plug hole until fluid reaches the bottom threads and begins to spill out. The capacity is 37 ounces (110 ml). AGL Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid is part number 2878068 for 1 quart (946 ml) and part number 2878069 for 1 gallon (3.78 L).
13. Reinstall the transmission fill plug. Torque to14 ft-lbs (19 Nm).
14. Clean any residual fluid off the vehicle.
15. Check for leaks.
16. Dispose of the used fluid properly.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.