|Required Tools and Supplies|
|Drive Belt (if replacing)||10mm Wrench|
|Pliers||Clutch Spreader Tool|
|10mm, 15mm, 17mm and 1/4-inch Sockets||Ratchet|
|Torque Wrench||Breaker Bar|
|Shop Rags||Safety Glasses & Nitrile Gloves|
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris Sportsman. To inspect or replace the drive belt on your Sportsman 850 High Lifter Edition or Sportsman XP 1000 High Lifter Edition, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK, and lock the parking brake.
3. Loosen the lug nuts on the left rear wheel with a 17mm socket, but do not remove.
4. Elevate and safely support the vehicle. Refer to your Owner’s Manual for proper lifting techniques.
5. Remove the lug nuts with a 17mm socket and set aside.
6. Then remove the wheel and set aside.
7. Continue by removing the left footwell push rivets with a pliers.
8. Remove the four footwell fasteners with a 10mm socket while counter-holding the nuts underneath.
9. Release the footwell from the fender tabs and pivot out of the vehicle.
10. Loosen the front PVT duct clamp with a 1/4-inch socket.
11. Then loosen the rear PVT duct clamp with an 8mm socket.
12. Carefully pull the duct out of the vehicle.
13. Use a 15mm socket to remove the four fasteners retaining the lower left-hand frame support and remove from the frame. Take note of the orientation of this bracket, as it must be reinstalled in the same direction.
14. Remove the seat to access the top PVT cover fastener.
15. Remove the PVT cover fastener with a 10mm socket and set aside.
16. Remove the remaining 10 cover fasteners with a 10mm socket.
17. Using care, pivot the PVT cover out and remove it from the wheel well.
18. Inspect the cover seal and replace if necessary. The seal is part number 5521802.
19. Before removing the belt, take note of the drive belt direction of rotation for reinstallation if needed.
20. Insert the clutch spreader tool into the driven clutch to spread the clutch sheaves. Ensure the tool is square with the moveable sheave surface of the driven clutch.
21. Carefully walk the belt off the driven clutch while opening the sheaves with the spreader tool as needed.
22. Remove the belt from the drive clutch.
23. Inspect the belt for any fraying, hour-glassing, loose cords, missing cogs, abrasions, burns or damage. Replace if needed. The belt is part number 3211203.
24. Clean out the inside of the clutch covers thoroughly.
25. When reinstalling the belt, ensure the belt is installed in the same direction of travel.
26. If replacing the belt, ensure the part number on the belt is facing outward when installed.
27. Loop the belt over the drive clutch and begin to walk it over the top of the driven clutch sheave.
28. Continue working the drive belt onto the driven clutch, rotating clockwise while opening the sheaves as needed.
29. When the belt is fully installed, rotate the driven clutch five to seven times to seat the belt.
30. Then carefully reinstall the clutch cover, pivoting in from the wheel well and rotating over the driven clutch.
31. Install the top clutch cover fastener. Torque to 30 in-lbs (3.4 Nm).
32. Install the remaining clutch cover fasteners. Torque to 30 in-lbs (3.4 Nm).
33. Reinstall the seat by aligning the front retainers and pushing down in the rear.
34. Reinstall the lower frame support, ensuring it is properly oriented.
35. Reinstall the four frame fasteners. Torque to 45 ft-lbs (60 Nm).
36. Carefully reinstall the PVT duct.
37. Torque the duct clamps to 30 in-lbs (3.4 Nm), ensuring there are no leaks or gaps.
38. Reinstall the footwell by pivoting it into place and locking it into the retention tabs in the fenders.
39. Install the four footwell fasteners and nuts. Torque the fasteners to 7 ft-lbs (9 Nm).
40. Install seven push rivets into the footwell.
41. Continue by reinstalling the wheel on the wheel hub.
42. Install the wheel lug nuts hand-tight.
43. Safely lower the vehicle to the ground.
44. Torque the lugs nuts to specification in a crisscross pattern. Torque steel wheels to 45 ft-lbs (61 Nm). Torque aluminum wheels to 75 ft-lbs (102 Nm).
Purchase a Polaris replacement drive belt
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner’s Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.