Required Tools and Supplies
- Drive Belt (part number 3211165)
- Clutch Spreader Tool
- Shop Rags
- Eye Protection
- Nitrile Gloves
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety goggles and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile. To inspect or replace the drive belt on your ProStar S4 INDY Adventure, follow these steps:
Caution: Do not attempt this process after operating in reverse. The snowmobile must be stopped after forward motion to prevent damage to components during belt removal.
1. Ensure the snowmobile is on a flat level surface and that the transmission is in neutral. Note: Setting the parking brake makes it very difficult to get the belt off at the front since it fights the body panel.
2. Remove the left side panel by turning the three quarter-turn latches. Pivot the panel away from the sled and pull out to remove.
3. Remove the clutch spreader tool from the panel trim and then spread the panel trim apart as needed to access the driven clutch.
4. Turn the quarter-turn latch on the belt holder to release the holder from the retention point.
5. Take note of the drive belt direction of rotation. The belt must be installed in the same direction if reusing.
6. Insert the clutch spreader tool into the threaded hole on the driven clutch and turn clockwise to spread the clutch.
7. Carefully walk the belt off the driven clutch and remove from the drive clutch. Removing the belt from the bottom of the driven clutch first can help provide additional clearance.
8. Inspect the belt for any fraying, hour-glassing, loose cords, missing cogs, abrasions, burns or damage, and replace if needed.
9. Before continuing, clean the area around the clutches thoroughly to prevent damage to vehicle components. Tip: If the belt was damaged, the camera on a mobile device can be used to capture the inside of the clutches to ensure all debris is removed.
10. If replacing the belt, clean with a mixture of warm soapy water and ensure the part number on the belt is facing outward when installed. The belt is part number 3211165.
11. Begin installing the belt over the drive clutch and then continue walking it over the driven clutch sheave.
12. Remove the clutch spreader tool.
13. Spin the clutch five to seven times to help seat the belt on the sheaves.
14. Insert the belt holder latch and turn it to secure the holder.
15. Reconnect the side panel trim and reinstall the spreader tool.
16. Reinstall the side panel by inserting the upper tab and pivoting in to engage the lower tab.
17. Latch the three quarter-turn latches to secure the panel.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.