Required Tools and Supplies
- 10mm Socket
- T30 TORX® Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Dielectric Grease or Petroleum Jelly
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile. To remove and install the battery on your 2023 and newer ProStar S4 INDY Adventure, follow these steps:
1. Ensure the snowmobile is on a flat, level surface and remove the key.
2. Begin by pulling up on the lower storage bag tabs and lifting the bag off the rails.
3. Pull up on the lower passenger seat tabs and partially lift the seat off the retention points, but do not remove.
4. Disconnect the passenger seat wiring harness from the rear of the driver’s seat and remove the seat.
5. Remove the driver’s seat by releasing the quarter-turn latch at the back and then pull the seat back to remove.
6. Remove the two battery housing fasteners with a 10mm socket.
7. Gently separate the housing to access the battery bracket fasteners.
8. Remove the two battery bracket fasteners with a T30 TORX® socket.
9. Lift the battery bracket up and out of the sled.
10. Remove the negative battery cable first to prevent arcing and set aside.
11. Pull the positive cable protector boot back to access the fastener underneath.
12. Remove the positive battery cable and set aside. Note: Reinstalling the fasteners and washers into the battery posts will help prevent misplacement.
13. Lift the battery up and pull it out from the snowmobile.
14. Clean out the inside of the battery tray with a clean cloth.
15. Inspect the pad on the battery bracket for wear or damage and replace as needed.
16. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged and free of any debris or damage. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery. A new battery is part number 4014609.
17. Carefully reinstall the battery into the snowmobile.
18. Reinstall the positive cable first to prevent arcing. Torque to 36 in-lbs (4 Nm) and reinstall the protector boot.
19. Reinstall the negative cable, and torque to 36 in-lbs (4 Nm).
20. Carefully reinstall the battery bracket over the battery.
21. Reinstall the bracket fasteners, and torque to 89 in-lbs (10 Nm).
22. Reinstall the battery housing over the fasteners and reinstall the nuts. Torque the nuts to 60 in-lbs (5 Nm).
23. Apply a light film of dielectric grease or petroleum jelly to both terminals.
24. Also verify the cables are secure and properly routed.
25. Align the seat’s front retention point and pivot the seat down.
26. Latch the quarter-turn latch to secure the seat.
27. Set the passenger seat on the retention points at the rear of the sled.
28. Reconnect the passenger seat wiring harness.
29. Open the locking tabs and push the seat down onto the retention points. Release the tabs to secure the seat.
30. Set the storage bag on the retention points. Open the locking tabs, press the bag down onto the retention points and release the tabs to secure the seat.
31. Finish by starting the snowmobile to verify the battery has been connected properly. Note: When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.