Required Tools and Supplies
- 6mm Allen socket
- T40 TORX® Socket
- Torque Wrench
- 2.5-Inch Oil Filter Wrench
- Grease Gun
- Oil Pan
- PS-4 Engine Oil (part number 2876244)
- Oil Filter (part number 2540086)
- All Terrain Grease
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
The Full Synthetic Oil Change (part number 2879323) and Extreme Duty Oil Change (part number 2890057) kits include oil and a new oil filter. For optimal performance, always use Polaris recommended fluids as described in your Owner’s Manual.
For information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris RZR.
To change the engine oil and filter on a RZR XP, follow these steps.
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface in a well-ventilated area, and ensure the transmission is in PARK.
2. Allow the engine to cool down before draining the oil.
3. Remove the four cargo box fasteners with a T40 TORX® socket.
4. Lift the cargo box up and set it aside.
5. Clean the area around the oil cap. Use care to avoid hot engine components.
6. Remove the oil cap and set it aside.
7. Place a drain pan under the engine crankcase. Tip: Placing a rag in the bottom of the drain pan will help prevent the splashing of oil.
8. Clean the area around the oil drain plug.
9. Remove the drain plug with a 6mm Allen socket, and allow the oil to drain completely.
10. To gain access to the oil filter, remove the rear seat behind the driver’s seat by pulling up on the latch strap and pivoting forward and upward to remove.
11. Clean the area around the oil filter and place shop rags under the filter to catch any spilled oil during removal.
12. Using the Oil Filter Wrench, turn the oil filter counterclockwise to remove.
13. Clean up any spilled oil and ensure that all shop rags are removed afterwards.
14. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the crankcase. Ensure the old filter O-ring is completely removed.
15. Lubricate the O-ring on the new filter with a film of fresh engine oil and ensure the O-ring is in good condition. A new oil filter is part number 2540086. It is included in both oil change kits.
16. Install the new filter and rotate it clockwise by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface, and then turn it an additional three-quarters of a turn. Reinstall the seat by aligning the front tabs under the retainer bar and pressing down in the rear to engage the latch.
17. Clean any dirt or debris from the drain plug, and ensure the sealing surfaces are free of any burrs, nicks or scratches.
18. Remove the old sealing washer and install a new one on the drain plug. A new sealing washer is part number 5812232.
19. Reinstall the drain plug, and torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
20. Clean any residual oil off the vehicle.
21. Add the proper amount of the recommended oil through the oil fill cap. Do not overfill. The oil capacity is 2.5 quarts (2.4 L).
22. Reinstall the oil fill cap and wipe up any residual oil.
23. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
24. Stop the engine and allow the oil to drain back into the crankcase for 3 minutes.
25. While waiting, inspect the vehicle for any leaks.
26. Remove the dipstick and wipe with a clean shop towel. Reinstall the dipstick fully and remove again to inspect the oil level. Add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
27. Reinstall the dipstick and wipe up any residual oil.
28. Dispose of the used oil and filter properly at your local recycling center.
29. Use a grease gun to grease all suspension grease zerks. Refer to your Owner’s Manual to find all grease zerks for your vehicle.
30. Move to the rear and reinstall the cargo box access panel. Torque to 88 in-lbs (10 Nm).
31. While at the rear of the vehicle, clean the spark arrestor. Note: Allow the vehicle to cool completely before performing any spark arrestor maintenance.
32. Remove the spark arrestor fastener with an 8mm socket.
33. Carefully pull the spark arrestor out of the exhaust.
34. Inspect the screen for wear and damage. Replace if necessary. A new spark arrestor screen is part number 1263697.
35. Reinstall the spark arrestor into the exhaust and align the mounting hole.
36. Reinstall the spark arrestor fastener, and torque to 7.4 ft-lbs (10 Nm).
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.