Required Tools and Supplies
- 10mm Socket
- 13mm Socket
- T40 TORX® Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Dielectric Grease or Petroleum Jelly
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
- Battery (part number 4014132)
For information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris XPEDITION.
To remove and install the battery on your Polaris XPEDITION XP or ADV, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure the vehicle is in PARK and remove the key.
2. Remove the two front seat mount bracket fasteners with a T40 TORX® socket.
3. Slide the seat assembly to the forwardmost position to aid in removal.
4. Tilt back and lift the seat out to remove from the vehicle.
5. Loosen the battery access panel fastener.
6. Pivot the panel up and pull forward to remove.
7. Remove the black negative battery cable fastener first to prevent arcing and set the cable aside. Tip: Reinstalling the fasteners into the battery posts will help prevent misplacement.
8. Remove the positive cable fastener and set the cable aside. Warning: Use care to ensure tools do not come into contact with both battery posts.
9. Remove the battery bracket fastener with a 10mm socket.
10. Pivot the battery out and unhook the battery bracket from its front retention point.
11. Remove the bracket from the vehicle.
12. Lift the battery up to remove from the vehicle.
13. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged and free of any debris to prevent damage. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery. A new battery is part number 4014132.
14. Clean any dirt or debris from the battery tray.
15. Install the battery with the terminals facing the front of the vehicle.
16. Insert the front of the battery bracket into its retention point and pivot the battery toward the front of the vehicle to align the bracket with the mounting hole.
17. Reinstall the bracket fastener, and torque to 8 ft-lbs (11 Nm).
18. Install the positive cable FIRST to prevent arcing, and torque to 31 in-lbs (3.5 Nm).
19. Install the negative cable, and torque to 31 in-lbs (3.5 Nm).
20. Before proceeding, verify the cables are secure and properly routed.
21. Coat both terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
22. Insert the battery panel’s retention tabs into the rear of the battery box.
23. Pivot the panel down and secure by tightening the fastener.
24. Align the front seat’s hooks with the seat base and pivot into place. Ensure the seat hooks are secured on the mounting bracket.
25. Pivot the seat down and align the mounting holes.
26. Reinstall the front seat mounting fasteners, and torque to 13 ft-lbs (18 Nm).
27. Turn the key ON to verify the battery has been connected properly. When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.