Required Tools and Supplies
- 8mm Socket
- 5/8-Inch Spark Plug Socket or Included Spark Plug Tool
- Torque Wrench
- Air Chuck
- Dielectric Grease
- Spark Plug (part number 3022662)
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
For information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris XPEDITION.
To inspect and replace the spark plugs on your Polaris XPEDITION XP or ADV, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface in a well-ventilated area, ensure it is in PARK and remove the key.
2. On XP models, lift the cargo box handle and pivot it back.
3. On ADV models, release the engine access panel in the cargo box and remove the panel.
4. Clean the area around the ignition coils.
5. Remove the ignition coil fasteners with an 8mm socket.
6. Carefully pull the ignition coils out of the spark plug wells.
7. Blow any dirt or debris out of the spark plug wells with compressed air to prevent anything from falling into the cylinders.
8. Carefully loosen the spark plugs with a 5/8-inch spark plug socket or included spark plug tool and remove from the vehicle. If reusing, take note of the cylinders they were installed in for reinstallation.
9. Inspect the electrodes for wear and carbon buildup and verify there are no cracks around the insulation. The spark plug should have a sharp outer edge with no rounding or erosion.
10. Inspect and adjust the spark plug gap if needed. The gap should measure 0.028-0.031 inches (0.7-0.8 mm).
11. If necessary, replace with the recommended spark plug. Severe engine damage may occur if the incorrect plug is used. New spark plugs are part number 3022662.
12. Apply anti-seize to the spark plug threads.
13. Install the spark plugs into the engine, and torque to 7 ft-lbs (9.5 Nm).
14. Apply a light coat of dielectric grease to the bottom of the ignition coils.
15. Reinstall the ignition coils and ensure they are fully seated.
16. Reinstall the spark plug cap onto the passenger side spark plug.
17. Reinstall the ignition coil fasteners, and torque to 7 ft-lbs (10 Nm).
18. On Polaris XP models, pivot the cargo bed down and ensure the latch is secure.
19. On Polaris ADV models, reinstall the engine access panel and tighten the fasteners.
20. Finally, start the engine to verify proper operation.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.